Saturday, January 7, 2012

Giving things a try

One of the things about horses, is you either enjoy it or you don't. You also either do it well naturally, you work at it to improve or you don't. The horse industry, especially in any type of competition can be tough.  Some horses take well to one sport or another and competely flop/fail/tank when it comes to another.  There are also horses who adapt well and can hold their own in a number of events, being a nice, all around competitor. Kat seems to have found his niche' in driving. He is doing well and while we still have our challenges, he is steadily improving and we are Both enjoying it as we go.

Jr told me once I seem to have a knack when it comes to driving. "Why do you think I don't say anything when you are driving? It just comes naturally for you out there."  My riding? Whole 'nuther story most days. I think too much and over analyze things in the saddle. Am I doing this? Why did this happen/not happen? How do I fix it? What do I need to change? Are my legs where they need to be? Hands? Where is the horses' leg and when do I cue for _____ ?  Timing? Strides? Remember to breathe. (Do all of this because the sky is purple...)   But when I get in the cart, I just drive and I'm along for the ride. Even when things aren't going well or even right, I am still having fun, doing whatever needs to be done (sometimes correcting it by accident) and not thinking too much about it!

As it turns out, driving is in the genes. My Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family, used to drive a team pulling an ice wagon and delivered ice back in the day.  On my Mom's side of the family, one of the women used to drive a stage coach.  Not exactly what most people would consider a woman's job back then, but I guess she was pretty dang tough. 

As for the sport of driving? I know where I want to go with it.  I want to go to the top, like everybody does!  I'm not exactly thrilled with the arena stuff, which is good because Kat gets easily bored with it too.  Realistically speaking, I will be happy to go as far as Kat and I can go with it.   I would love it if he took it all the way, but all things considered, we will do what we can and give it our best shot.  Oh and for driving, the ADS rules state that the horses are to be at least 6 years old before competing in their events, minimum age of 5 if used in a four in hand or pairs.  You won't find any babies out there started too soon and ruined before they even got started.

I looked at the USEF Long List a couple of weeks ago and recognized a few names that are big in the sport, although they are in the pairs and four-in-hand, both horses and ponies divisions. There they were along with several I don't know.  I also looked at the Single Pony section, since that is where we will hopefully be some day... I recognized two names on that part of the list.

Both of them are from Arizona, the only two from here on the whole list actually.  Doris Leacy organizes clinics and lessons in Southern Arizona for driving enthusiasts there, with one of the trainers from here in the Phoenix area.  Barbara Sims was at the clubs annual Festival of Driving Pleasure Show in November where she was Champion in the pony division that day.  Both women have done well at a national event to have made it to this list. How awesome is that? Good for them!

Looking at the list and the names on it, I wondered if any of them had started out driving thinking- "I want my name on the USEF Long List."  I wonder how many of them on the list, started out with that as the furthest thing from their mind?  I am pretty sure though, that most of the people on the list, probably started out with driving lessons and probably started out with a trained horse. Not flying by the seat of their own pants, working on their own, training a green horse (a stallion no less) and not having much if any real outside help.   I have had a few people offer to help, but we seem to be doing ok so far for going it alone.

The funny part in all of this is, that every time something comes up, a clinic or a chance to take a lesson and use some outside help- something else comes to mind or springs up as an opprotunity to fix it on our own at home. The water obstacle- the mud on the trail or I can flood the pasture and work through it at home.

I will fill you guys in on more as we go along, but we are going to go for it. We will never get there if we don't at least try.  The people on the USEF Long List sure didn't get where they are by sitting around hoping, wishing or whining.

No comments: