Sunday, July 25, 2021

Nip & trim

Sometimes we just have to take things in life head on. When it comes to our horses/ponies, we are their advocate and we need to stand up for their best interests, safety and their health. This includes hoof care. 

I have posted here before about dealing with an inferior farrier and the issues involving Kat's feet.  I trimmed his feet before and have no problem trimming them again. Then I switched farriers and while the new guy does a good job and all, for some reason I can't get him to take enough hoof off when trimming Katman. 

At 4 weeks the other pony in the barn that wasn't growing hoof- was already long and starting to chip the edges. She has not been on hoof supplements this last month and neither has Kat. And for not being in supplements, he was overreaching really bad at the walk the other night. Normally he overreaches at the trot when he is due for a trim- to the point you can hear him literally clicking with every stride as his hooves make contact. 

So at 4 weeks I sent a text they needed a trim. She's starting to chip, he's overreaching and how can we get this done? The other boarder that moved in with 5 horses and uses him now too, hers are still in good shape and can go a little longer. A week or two later and I let him know that if I need to, I can trailer out and meet him somewhere to get them done. 

Any wonder Why he might be overreaching at 4 weeks? 

So I grabbed my nippers, knife, rasp and got to work. 

Right front was first and while it is a touch long still for him, it looks a whole lot better than it did. 

Nice and short like it should be and balanced once again.  

Texting with a friend of mine that also uses the same farrier, she agreed that Kats feet should not be that long. 

His heels should not be the length of my thumb. Rest assured- they aren't anymore. Kat may still have some unresolved issues with deep cracking in the frog area, but that's a work in progress. And thanks to him fidgeting while I was rasping, the knuckle of my thumb is now missing a couple layers of skin. 

The difference in his hind feet after trimming the right one and before starting on the left.

Both hind feet have been taken down to where they belong. Its funny that Kat stood there licking and chewing as I worked on his feet. Each time I would set one down and let him have a break, (and me too) he would turn his head to me as if expressing his thanks. Anything to help out my little man.  

No comments: